[mythtv-users] Cheap frontend for HD

Tom Bongiorno Jr. tbjr at bongohut.com
Mon Jun 29 15:54:22 UTC 2015

> On Jun 28, 2015, at 3:30 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Calvin Dodge <caldodge at gmail.com <mailto:caldodge at gmail.com>> wrote:
> Right now I'd say the answer is "no, it's not worth it", given that
> Newegg currently has the 32G/2G ECS Liva on sale for $79.99.
>
> Thanks for that hot tip.  For $80 I couldn't resist buying one to try out.
>
> After some fiddling, I got it to PXE-boot Ubuntu 14.04 like the other ION-based frontends.  Strangely, it works for about 3-4 minutes after downloading the initrd.img file before it gets into the actual boot process.  But once it's running mythfrontend, it's just as responsive as the ION frontends.
>
> The frontend idles at 5 watts, and plays HD-PVR h.264 recordings with deinterlacing at 9-10 watts.  Compare to the ION which idles at 19 watts and uses about 26 watts during similar playback.
>
> Jim

I am so tempted to buy several of these ECS Livas. I want them to be the go to solution for a cheap frontend, but the deinterlacer on the Intel graphics within MythTV is just not up to par with VDPAU IMO. I found it to be a deal breaker.

Is my understanding correct that the Intel graphics linux drivers have VDPAU quality deinterlacer capability, but integration needs to be added to MythTV? I may have this wrong. I am no authority about what parts of the decoding process are done by the graphics chip or the software.

-Tom