[mythtv-users] Backend changes to support Android streaming

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Mon Jun 29 06:19:03 UTC 2015

> On 29 Jun 2015, at 9:16 am, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>>> I tried mythtv android app. Nice interface but I cannot get it to
>>> transcode hence work. I DID compile my myth and lack of documentation and
>>> lack of understanding has ment no progress.
>>>

>> In MythTV Player, go to the side flyout menu > Settings and make sure
>> "Internal Player" is on, or else it will just stream raw recordings from
>> the backend. Otherwise, look for the mythtranscode logs to see what is
>> happening.

Heeding advice I installed 0.28 from git.
I compiled with: ./configure --enable-libx264 --enable-libmp3lame make etc
android mythplayer does not work spending for ever on HLS transcode
samsung TV plays recordings but videos are ‘unknown format’ even after transferring a recording that plays to videos and recan.
BubbleUPnP plays a bit then stops
8Player (iPad) works flawlessly :-(

I reverted to mythtv-0.27.4
UPnP behaviour is exactly the same
myth Player is exactly the same (& HLS waits forever)

So if any developers read this, UPnP used to work, early 0.27-fixes, on my samsung TV but does not any longer. Since working and non-working files are *exactly* the same it has to be what UPnP server SAYS when serving the file from recordings vs from videos. Some spelunking with wire shark is needed and I shall RealSoonNow.

To my horror and shame 8Player on iPad plays flawlessly, mythPlayer works not at all, BubbleUPnP (which was the best that I tried) plays recordings for a bit, videos not at all.

Short of selling my soal to the devil, or much hard work I have to conclude android mythtv is indeed a myth.

James