[mythtv-users] What's the place-shifting state-of-the-art?

Mark Boyum mark at boyum.us
Wed Jun 24 15:20:27 UTC 2015

* MythWeb ASX streaming (but it doesn't transcode and doesn't seem to

> be able to play my files previously transcoded to MP4/H.264)
>
> * MythTV Android client (but I can't seem to get HLS working right;
> even if I do get it working, I think it's hard to seek with HLS and
> therefore it will never be great for currently-recording programs like
> sports; and it's Android only)
>
> * Using Kodi as a frontend and streaming from there using a setup like
> the one described at
> https://thepcspy.com/read/remote-streaming-access-xbmc-kodi/ (but I
> haven't been able to get it to work so far; needing a whole Kodi
> installation seems like overkill; and I'm not sure this can do
> realtime transcoding)
>
> * Firing up VLC on my backend as a transcoder and streaming server
> when I want it (but it's inelegant, requiring issuing a command line
> command remotely; and it might also not be great at seeking)
>
> * Wiring up a Slingbox to an additional MythTV frontend (but that's
> expensive; it's probably hard to navigate MythTV menus through the
> Slingbox interface; Slingbox has become horrible adware recently; and
> really this whole option is just pretty silly...but I know it would
> work)
>
> Any thoughts? What have you been using that's working for you? Any tips?
>
> Understand that I do no watch sports often and never "live" as it
happens.  I love watching football about an hour after the game has
started  with time stretch and commercial skipping.

I utilize Plex for place shifting our content.  It has worked great on our
Android tablets, Rokus, and PC web browsers.  They do charge for the apps
on devices but the server and web access to it are free of charge.

I had tried media browser before it became emby but found it not nearly as
stable or capable as Plex at the time.  Might be better now.

-Mark