[mythtv-users] MythTV on Kodi

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Jun 22 17:25:02 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> On 6/22/2015 9:20 AM, Ozzy Lash wrote:
>

>  On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 11:08 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
>

>> On 6/22/2015 7:57 AM, Mike Bibbings wrote:
>>
>>> Raspberry Pi (Model B and Pi 2 - the 4 core version with 1GB Ram), and
>>> Android (arm) with mythtv backend 0.27/5 fixes and 0.28pre. All work well.
>>>

>>  I've been playing with Lakka (game emu focused) which I think is also
>> based on Kodi. It looks like Kodi charges extra for MPEG decoding. Is this
>> the case? Needed for Myth playback on Raspberry Pi 1/2?
>>

>  I don't think it is Kodi that is charging extra for mpeg2, but to get a
> license on the Rpi for hardware acceleration of mpeg2 you have to pay a
> license fee (I assume to Broadcom or to whoever does its graphics
> coprocessor).
>

> What I'd like to know is how is 1080p playback in the MythTV tool on Kodi
> on the Raspberry Pi? Is the hardware acceleration add-on needed?

Playback is great and yes, you do need/want the hardware acceleration if
you playback HD mpeg2 content.  If everything is mpeg 4, or only SD for
mpeg2 (dvd's) than you shouldn't need it.  there is also a license for VC-1
if you need that.

Both together will cost you about $5 USD.  A small price for a huge
performance jump.  I was able to play content un-accelerated, but it wasn't
smooth.

However if you transcode all your HD content to mpeg-4, or you use a device
that records HD in mpeg-4 you can probably pass on them and save yourself
$5.

Note: I have no experience with the rPi... just the rPi2.  I suspect that
the standard rPi may struggle to decode even SD mpeg 2... but the rPi2
plays it just fine in software (no license).