[mythtv-users] Netflix and Mythtv

John Marshall mythtv at marshallparty.org
Mon Jun 15 20:56:34 UTC 2015

On 6/15/2015 3:41 PM, Joseph Fry wrote:
>     Let me start by saying I have read and tried the methods suggested at:
>     https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Netflix_Native_Integration
>
>     I am running mythtv 0.27.4 and lirc 0.90 on Debian Unstable.
>     I run mythfrontend standalone (with no window manager). This works fine
>     with my lircrc file.
>
>     I can get mythtv to launch Google Chrome to the Netflix site, I just
>     can't get the remote to actually function in Chrome window (even without
>     a window manager a mouse and keyboard still work fine).
>
>     I was wondering if anyone had an lircrc file that worked for both
>     mythfrontend and chrome ... or if someone could point me in the right
>     direction to get this functioning.
>

> The real problem is that Netflix is not an accessible interface.  There
> is virtually no support for keyboards.
>
> I have tinkered with hacking together a Chrome plugin that would add a
> cursor and support for the arrow keys, but it proved to be far more
> difficult than I had expected due to the way the pages are generated.
>
> I have no doubt it could be done... but not easily.

http://lifehacker.com/flix-plus-customizes-netflix-to-your-hearts-desire-1640968001

This plugin adds keyboard controls.  I played around with getting my
remote to control it using keypresses, and it mostly worked, but the
Netflix interface still gets in the way at times.  I don't know if their
new version rolling out soon will be any better or not.

Another alternative is Kodi's plugin, which reduces the need to control
Chrome because only playback happens there.  Browsing/selecting titles
is done in Kodi.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=211574