[mythtv-users] New Upnp Channel Changer Script (Dish VIP 211 users definitely read)

Jon Heizer jheizer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 21:26:30 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Michael <mythtv at blandford.net> wrote:

>  On 04/13/2015 11:22 AM, Jon Heizer wrote:
>

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 12:07 PM, Michael <mythtv at blandford.net> wrote:
>
>>  On 02/23/2015 07:03 PM, Jon Heizer wrote:
>>
>>> Mythtv users. I'd like to present a new channel changer script.  If you
>>> are a Dish VIP 211 users this will definitely work and it is AMAZING.  It
>>> uses ethernet to change the channels.  NO MORE IR BLASTERS!!  Can you tell
>>> I'm excited? :)
>>>
>>> Basically a few weeks ago I randomly plugged my STB into the network for
>>> the first time in years.  Being the curious type I did port scans and
>>> such.  There was now a Upnp port open with control abilities.
>>>
>>> Benefits over lirc scripts:
>>>  - No LIRC
>>>  - Super fast.  Live tv is ~ 5 seconds to change now.  Even faster on
>>> first start up.
>>>  - No more idling out to the screen saver after 4 hours.  I disable it.
>>>  - No LIRC
>>>
>>> The one Negative: our VIP 211 receivers are smart enough to use the same
>>> guide number for both HD when available and SD when not.  Sadly, the upnp
>>> interface is not and it displays the SD feed.  You must update your channel
>>> data to use the super high number channels.  A bit of a pain I'll admit,
>>> but I can't imagine going back now.
>>> I've been using this on my production system for about 3 weeks now on 2
>>> receivers and have not had a single issue.
>>>
>>> You can find the script at https://github.com/jheizer/UPnPChannelChanger
>>> and I'll be updating that page this evening with instructions for people
>>> using a different STB with steps to detect Upnp and instructions to modify
>>> the script.
>>>

> Hi John,
>
> I have been following this thread for a while and still pondering the
> transition to Dish using your scripts.
>
> I noticed there is also a vip-channellist script that pulls the available
> channels from the receiver.  In other thread today, there is discussion
> about the visible flag for channels.  It seems like it would be possible to:
> 1) Subscribe to all dish channels on schedules direct
> 2) Run the vip-channellist script to get the valid channels for your
> account
> 3) update the visible flag in mythtv for those channels you are getting
> today
>

> if you ran this daily, hopefully you would get all of the weekend special
> channels, etc as they come and go without having to mess with any
> configuration.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Michael

I've absolutely wanted to do that but being a .Net person and if I wrote it
in that most people wouldn't want to use it out of spite/MS hate.  I had
also thought about learning pythin to do it, but for time reasons I haven't
been able to do it either way so I just miss out on those channel promos.

Jon