[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend Refuses to Start

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Mon Jun 8 18:09:13 UTC 2015

On 6/8/2015 1:15 AM, HP-mini wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-06-07 at 13:00 -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>> On 6/7/2015 12:07 PM, HP-mini wrote:
>>> Kirk
>>> The kernel boot option "nomodeset" causes the nvidia driver (& nouveau)
>>> to fail to load & you get framebuffer driver & limited resolutions;
>>> therefore no openGL or vdpau.
>>> The frontend could be set to openGL painter & not "auto".
>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Override_settings
>>>

>> Thank you for the suggestions.
>>
>> I finally got it running by carefully deleting all old video drivers and
>> tools and installing only the current driver and it's required
>> utilities. I'm not sure what the problem was. It was either the driver
>> or an .Xauthority issue or both.
>>
>> I have the painter set to qt.
>>
> Just note your earlier Xorg.0.log snippet shows you had "nomodeset" in
> the kernel boot command & the posted cut log showed no proof the nvidia
> driver was correctly loaded.
> But if the problems have gone away you must have fixed it.

I can't remember why I had that in there. Trying to fix something some
time somewhere. I removed it but everything is working. One little issue
that if I run xterm from my .xinitrc, mythfrontend will not run from
that terminal session. It just hangs. No big deal. The regular execution
of mythfrontend still runs. I just wonder why.