[mythtv-users] Working out which tuner was used for which recording

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Jun 3 14:56:28 UTC 2015

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 15:07:28 +0100, you wrote:

>Yes:  but I just see the number of the virtual tuner that made the
>recording, and of course that isn't automatically associated with a
>particular device - particularly when consulted ten years later.  I
>haven't examined what options exist for doing that.  udev + set device
>name, I suppose.
>
>John

It is much easier if your tuner's driver supports the "adapter_nr="
option, so check for that first.  This is what I have in my
/etc/modprobe.d/options-dvb.conf file:

#Set adapter numbers for Nova-TD 500 DVB-T card (dual tuners), and
AverMedia AverTV DVB-T Volar USB tuner (they use the same driver).
options dvb_usb_dib0700 adapter_nr=0,1,2

#Set adapter number for TurboSight TBS5922 QBOX S2 DVB-S2 USB tuner.
options dvb-usb-tbsqbox22 adapter_nr=3

#Set adapter number for TeVii S470 DVB-S2 PCIe x1 card.
options cx23885 adapter_nr=4

#Set number of loopback adapters for use with sasc-ng/ffdecsawrapper
card decryption software, and set the adapter numbers to use.
options dvbloopback num_adapters=2 adapter_nr=5,6

My dual tuner Nova-TD 500 card will always have its two tuners in the
same order, due to how the enumeration of USB devices works, and it
also just happens that as it is a dual USB on a PCI card, it does not
swap around with the real USB AverTV DVB-T Volar tuner, which always
gets enumerated first.  So as a result, I can do all the ordering of
my tuners with the "adapter_nr=" options, without having to use the
much mode difficult udev rules in /etc/udev/rules.d.

The modinfo command on the device driver file name will tell you what
options it supports.  For example "modinfo dvb_usb_dib0700" tells me
about my DVB-T driver.  The driver name is usually found by looking at
the logs from your last boot, or by googling.  It is not always
obvious from the log entries though.