[mythtv-users] Storing recordings on a NAS via NFS (I/O concerns)

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 00:24:55 UTC 2015

> I'm now thinking of ditching the NFS VM and using my QNAP TS-410 NAS to
> provide the NFS share. But I'm worried that this may suffer from I/O
> bottlenecks. As an example, I copied a 800MB file from the NFS VM to the
> MythBuntu VM and it took 14 seconds. But when I copied the same file from
> MythBuntu VM to the NAS it took 49 seconds.
>
> The NAS has a gigabit ethernet port but it's a few years old, and the
> disks are Hitachi 7200 RPM. Do you think it will be up to the job? Is there
> a test I could do to check before I head down this path?

Just wanted to give an update on this as I was pleasantly surprised by the
results. I tested by enabling one PCI DVB-T card and allowing it to record
4 channels max (on the one multiplex). I set up my storage groups on the
QNAP TS-410 NAS which has an NFS share.

I then set 4 channels on the same multiplex to record at once for a few
minutes and viewed the recordings. They all looked fine which was quite a
surprise :)

FYI this is not a high end NAS by any means. It's a few years old. It's CPU
is a Marvell 800 MHz and it has 256MB RAM, Serial ATA-300 controller
interface and 1GB ethernet (it has 2 ethernet ports but I only have 1
enabled). I have Hitach 1 TB 7200rpm disks installed in it. The old girl's
done pretty well, huh?

The video resolutions of each channel were:
720x576
720x576
1440x1080
528x576