[mythtv-users] Copying channel definitions from one instance of MythTV to another

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 2 20:20:55 UTC 2015

On Tue, 02 Jun 2015 04:30:07 +0100, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is there a way to export the channel information I have in the original
> MythBackend and importing that into the new one?
>
> I also found this -
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Restore_xmltvids_after_a_channel_scan
> - but it appears that it >will just UPDATE already-defined channels with
> XMLTV IDs. I'm trying to find a way of importing all the channel
> information. Is this possible?

I haven't tried it on 2 databases, but I suspect mythupchuk
(https://github.com/StarsoftAnalysis/mythupchuk) should be able to do this.

mythupchuk --fileupdate channels.list

will dump your good channel table to a text file, which you can then use
to update existing channels in your new database:

mythupchuk --dbupdate --nograbber --nogeticons channels.list     (as a dry
run, add --commit to effect it)

It will match channels by sourceid & serviceid so, as long as you use the
same sourceid and have already scanned, the channel number, visibility,
callsign & name for those channels should be updated.

The perl script is designed to derive xmltvids automatically from a (UK)
grabber, but if you hack it to also dump them out to the text file, then
you can migrate them at the same time.

You'll be left with duplicate channels (serviceids), which you'll have to
clean up manually.

All conjecture of course! Back up before experimenting...