[mythtv-users] Looking to switch to FreeSat from FreeView in the UK

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 11:55:24 UTC 2015

On 1 Jun 2015 10:38, "Tim Draper" <veehexx at zoho.com> wrote:

> I use the TBS6981 (PCIe) with the OSS drivers and it's been flawless on
FC21 (3.19-something kernel)
> iirc kernel support is built in to >= 3.16 kernels so any new distros and
you'll be covered. i believe the opensource TBS drivers support all the
normal tbs models.

> I cannot fault the TBS card with quality or stability problems.
>
> I am the opposite of you though - USB would be second to a plug in card.
> every USB tuner i've used has had dropouts about the 1 month period
(ttusb-budget tuner, and the 292e) which resulted in a reboot to fix - my
mythtv BE is in the loft so re-plugging isnt an option.

> It would be worth saying that i'm on my 2nd 6981 card though. the first
one failed with 1 of the 2 inputs dying. The card still worked on input2.
input1 was disabled in mythtv-setup while i got the RMA progressed.

That pretty much is the reason why I would prefer USB sticks! You were
lucky only one tuner died rather than the card as a whole. I've had one USB
stick die in over 8 years, and all I had to do was disable it in MythTV.
That aside, it sound like the TBS 4 channel card is my best option from a
price perspective also, I'll just keep the DVB-T tuners as a backup.

So how did d you supply all the inputs? Do you have cable runs direct to
the dish, or do you take one feed and connect to a booster with multiple
ports?

Also, what about it EPG, do you use EIT or XML feed?

Cheers
Gordob