[mythtv-users] HDPVR setup problems

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Mon Jun 1 05:17:38 UTC 2015

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 10:05 PM, Fred Hamilton <fred at yonkitime.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Jack McGee <jack at greendesk.net> wrote:
>
>> First, it seems even if MythTV cannot change channels, I should at least
>> be able to record whatever the cable box is tuned to, correct?
>>

> I had a similar problem a few weeks ago.  IIRC, I was trying to record
> something on Myth using my HD-PVR, and I had left the channel change
> command blank in mythtv-setup.
>
> That didn't work.  If MythTV can't execute  channel change command, it
> doesn't try to record.  At least that's how I remember it.  Once I
> installed 6200ch (I change channels via firewire), it worked fine.
>
> But, I can cat /dev/video0 > test.ts and get a file I can playback.
>>

> That's what I saw as well.
>
> Why can't Myth record a file and where else should I look for clues?
>>

> Work on getting the channel change command working.  You can debug it
> easily by connecting your TV directly to your cablebox and executing the
> channel change command outside of mythtv.  Once that's working reliably,
> add it to MythTV setup and see if you can record normally again.
>
> Yes, I encountered that a few months ago when a package update broke my
channel change scripts. Unfortunately the default verbosity log did not
show the channel change failure (I submitted a patch to change that but it
might not show up until 0.28). If you just want to do a quick test without
spending a lot of time getting your channel change script working, you
could temporarily use '/bin/true' as your channel change command. FYI, I
seem to recall that a lot of users choose not to use the built-in IR
blaster with the 1212 because of reliability issues. As always, though,
YMMV.

Karl