[mythtv-users] HDPVR setup problems

Fred Hamilton fred at yonkitime.com
Mon Jun 1 05:05:47 UTC 2015

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Jack McGee <jack at greendesk.net> wrote:

> First, it seems even if MythTV cannot change channels, I should at least
> be able to record whatever the cable box is tuned to, correct?

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago.  IIRC, I was trying to record
something on Myth using my HD-PVR, and I had left the channel change
command blank in mythtv-setup.

That didn't work.  If MythTV can't execute  channel change command, it
doesn't try to record.  At least that's how I remember it.  Once I
installed 6200ch (I change channels via firewire), it worked fine.

But, I can cat /dev/video0 > test.ts and get a file I can playback.

That's what I saw as well.

Why can't Myth record a file and where else should I look for clues?

Work on getting the channel change command working.  You can debug it
easily by connecting your TV directly to your cablebox and executing the
channel change command outside of mythtv.  Once that's working reliably,
add it to MythTV setup and see if you can record normally again.