[mythtv-users] Undo 14.04 LTS update

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 22:13:53 UTC 2015

On Jul 30, 2015 10:36 AM, "Mike Perkins" <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 30/07/15 15:07, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
>>
>> On 30/07/15 12:22, Daryl McDonald wrote:

>>> issues)

>>> preference is to do full backups of needed files/configurations and then
>>> a clean install.

>>> an existing install usually leaves odd library inconsistencies which are
>>> difficult to resolve.

>>> Mike what is your method for getting that full backup? Is there a script
>>> that separates the myth add ons from the previous install?
>>>

>> Personally i would use the "seat of pants" method. (Not suitable for
>> novice installers)
>>
>> ie. If you store all your recordings on a separate drive / partition
>> then you dump your full database to that partition, with anything else
>> interesting like ssh keys.
>>
>> Then go forth, and re-install making sure not to reformat the recordings
>> drive / partition.
>>
>> Once the OS is install get mythtv built / installed, restore database,
>> cross fingers and start it all up.
>>
>> If it all goes wrong you get to restore from backup.. ;-)
>> I did mention this was the "seat of pants" method and contains no
>> backup instructions at all...
>>
> Almost exactly it. I have a "backup" directory on my first recording
volume, which is where the db backups usually go anyway.

> As well as those I make sure I have copies of things like config.xml and
selected items like ssh keys and ntp.conf, my.conf, and so on.

> Note: If you do do this, be aware that some OSs create the mysql database
with a new, randomized mythtv password! Of course you can overwrite this
when you restore but it might cause some head-scratching.

> Oh, and my policy on a new install is always to create the 'mythtv' user
*before* installing the mythtv software. This ensures that it is created as
a regular user, with a home directory under /home, not /var/lib. It also
means you get to choose the uid, gid, etc if that is important to you.

> --
>
> Mike Perkins

Maybe I'm being naive, but the elegance of Mythtv that I've seen so far
leads me to believe there would be a more elegant, less blood sweat and
tears way to upgrade our OS. Something like running "diff" against a
"rsync'd" OS backup  and a fresh install and then have the product
"automagically" inserted appropriately into the new OS release? Is this
even possible? When I upgraded from 12.04 to 14.04, there was plenty of
B,S,&T, due to poor memory of the five or six things (udev, etc) beyond the
database backup and usually only a short window of opportunity to get'er
done.

Thoughts?