[mythtv-users] Undo 14.04 LTS update

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Thu Jul 30 14:07:01 UTC 2015

On 30/07/15 12:22, Daryl McDonald wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2015 4:04 AM, "Mike Perkins" <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
> <mailto:mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>> wrote:
>>
>> On 30/07/15 00:32, Robin Gilks wrote:
>>>
>>> Greetings all
>>>
>>> Since I've not had a problem with it on a couple of *buntu installs, I
>>> updated my Mythbuntu frontend with the "LTS Enablement Stacks" and its a
>>> disaster :(
>>>
>>> The box randomly gets into a stuttering state that requires a reboot to
>>> fix it during which time it runs much hotter.
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure the kernel upgrade is OK (fixes USB3 mceusb remote
> issues)
>>> but the xserver and mesa updates seem to be what has broken things.
>>>
>>> The original update was
>>> "sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-utopic
>>> xserver-xorg-lts-utopic libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-utopic
>>> libegl1-mesa-drivers-lts-utopic"
>>>
>>> I've no idea how I find out what was originally installed so how do I
>>> revert everything bar the kernel?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>> I've always found these sorts of "upgrades" to be problematical. My
> preference is to do full backups of needed files/configurations and then
> a clean install.
>>
>> This ensures that everything is consistent. Upgrading over the top of
> an existing install usually leaves odd library inconsistencies which are
> difficult to resolve.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Perkins
>>

> Mike what is your method for getting that full backup? Is there a script
> that separates the myth add ons from the previous install?

Personally i would use the "seat of pants" method. (Not suitable for
novice installers)

ie. If you store all your recordings on a separate drive / partition
then you dump your full database to that partition, with anything else
interesting like ssh keys.

Then go forth, and re-install making sure not to reformat the recordings
drive / partition.

Once the OS is install get mythtv built / installed, restore database,
cross fingers and start it all up.

If it all goes wrong you get to restore from backup.. ;-)
I did mention this was the "seat of pants" method and contains no
backup instructions at all...

Regards
Stuart