[mythtv-users] 8T Seagate Archive: my experience

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Jul 25 09:45:24 UTC 2015

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 19:21:24 +0200, you wrote:

>On 20/07/15 21:26, jedi wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 08:30:16PM +0200, Warpme wrote:
>>> On 20/07/15 11:04, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
>>>
>>> It looks like Seagate isn't interested much in Linux user base (sad)
>>> and didn't see negative impact on it's image by non-usability this
>>> model under Linux (strange!).
>>> I looked little over kernel code and I think fix in kernel to
>>> tolerate 1-3min of SATA freezes will be not easy task (multiple
>>> layers had cascade of timeouts so increasing SATA timeout needs
>>> touching also DMA/FS/kernel process timeouts).
>>>
>>> Seagate is not willing to mod drive firmware to make this drive
>>> usable under Linux 4.x+
>>
>Hmm,
>It looks like I have to revoke my words about drive/firmware issue.
>Actually it looks like my issues are result of kernel 3.19+ bug.
>Attached patch allows me to successful write 7T of test data without any
>SATA error.
>Without this patch drive interface goes down after 50-150G of writes.

I hope this is fixed before I have to upgrade to 3.19+ kernels.
Currently I am running Mythbuntu 14.04 (3.13.0-58-generic), and so far
it seems fine with my ST8000AS0002, which I am just using for archival
storage.  I have manually moved my oldest recording files over onto
it, and set it up as a new storage group that is never used for
recording, so MythTV only ever does playback and deletion on it.