[mythtv-users] LIRC not detecting certain keypresses with MCE remotes (modifiers?)

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Wed Jul 22 08:34:13 UTC 2015

I upgraded my harmony remote yesterday to the 650 which now uses the newer myharmony system, from a failing 555 on the old harmony software.

I've had some long outstanding niggles with how the controller was setup with mythtv navigation so have used this upgrade to actually start using jumppoints and more direct control over mythtv than manually navigating though the GUI.
I've configured it to use the 'Microsoft Media Center PC SE' device. It has Alt+{0-9}, Win+{0-9}, and CTRL+{X,C,V,A etc} keypresses available in the myharmony software but LIRC is unable to see those keypresses. irw just doesnt display anything when you use these commands.

I've also tried the 'MCE Keyboard' device, but lirc/irw doesnt like any keypress at all with this device - just no detection of the IR transmission. I'm not sure if this is a myharmony issue or a config issue on my side though.

I've read various reports on why the 'MCE Keyboard' device may not work (it isnt a RC-6 device like the '..SE' device is), but searching around for solutions has been unfruitful and am unable to get ir-keytable to recognise anything more than irw has done. (ir-keytable was one path to a working 'MCE Keyboard' device according to a few forums)

Has anyone got the 'MCE Keyboard' and/or the modifier keys for the 'SE' devices working and be able to help me get mine working? tbh, it doesnt have to be the MCE keyboard device at all. any device that gives me comparable function would work. AFAIK this is the only IR device that is suitable.

I'm using the built in Celeron NUC (DN2820FYKH) IR receiver, running mythbuntu 14.04. Lirc is v0.9.0.