[mythtv-users] Debian update fails mythtv-database (re)configure

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Wed Jul 22 03:27:50 UTC 2015

> On 22 July 2015 at 01:37, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
>>
>> I did at one stage find out how to determine just what root password the
>> config script was using - I seem to have lost that information now :(
>
> Put the following in a file, mark it as executable and run it:
>
> ---------------------------8<---------------------------
> #!/bin/sh -e
>
> . /usr/share/debconf/confmodule
>
> db_get mythtv/mysql_admin_user
> admin_username="$RET"
>
> db_get mythtv/mysql_admin_password
> admin_password="$RET"
>
> db_get mythtv/mysql_host
> hostname="$RET"
>
> if test -z "$hostname"; then
>     hostname=localhost
> fi
>
> db_get mythtv/mysql_mythtv_dbname
> database="$RET"
>
> echo "MythTV database upgrade variables (Debian):"
> echo "  Username: $admin_username"
> echo "  Password: $admin_password"
> echo "  Hostname: $hostname"
> echo "  Database: $database"
> ---------------------------8<---------------------------
>
> This will print the variables the mythtv-database upgrade script is using.
>
> You might also want to remove the two 'woden' host entries from your
> mysql.user table unless you specifically need them. You have a
> wildcard hostname entry for root, so this will help to reduce noise.

Thanks Nick

Here is the output of your script

MythTV database upgrade variables (Debian):
  Username: root
  Password: *****
  Hostname: 192.168.1.12
  Database: mythconverg

and follows an extract from my hosts file.

$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost

::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

192.168.1.12    woden.localdomain       woden gilks.ath.cx

I've removed the extra 'root' entries, still not working :(

I commented out the 192.168.1.12 entry from hosts, restarted mysql and it
worked!!

At last...

--
Robin Gilks