[mythtv-users] CCI Copy Freely Letter Campaign

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Jul 17 21:33:13 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 4:47 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 1:44 PM Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

>> > You add in an HD Fury to the mix of extra hardware you need to buy.
>>
>> Part of the point I'm trying to make is just how ineffective CCI flags
>> are at actually curbing piracy.  CCI=Copy Never won't prevent Game of
>> Thrones from ending up on bit torrent 20 minutes after broadcast.  It
>> just annoys honest people and forces us to pay more for extra
>> equipment rental.  That is, I believe, its true purpose.
>>
> That is the entire point of DRM.

Which is why it's important to try to understand the motivations of a
company like Fox pushing for tighter DRM.  It's clear to see how Time
Warner benefits, but how does Fox?  What are they trying to
accomplish?  What I think they want is more people watching live (and
not skipping ads).  Sending them a letter saying "your practices make
it hard for me to view your content on my handy-dandy auto-commercial
skipping DVR" will fall on deaf ears since that is entirely the point
of their actions.

Eric