[mythtv-users] When watching live tv programs say they are being recorded, but are not there

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 18:28:57 UTC 2015

Hoi mythtv,

Friday, July 17, 2015, 7:42:42 PM, you wrote:

> On 07/17/2015 11:15 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hoi Lee,
>>
>> Friday, July 17, 2015, 5:49:45 PM, you wrote:
>>
>>> When we are watching live tv (VERY Rare) sometimes it will pop up a
>>> notice about changing to the recording channel,  sometimes not.   In any
>>> event, later I cannot find the scheduled recording!   Even if in the
>>> guide it claims to be recording at that moment!
>>> I have three HD Homerun units, so there is no need to switch from the
>>> live tv channel to record.  (plenty of tuners available)
>>> I must have something set up incorrectly.  Any Idea what I should look at?
>>> Thanks!!!
>>> Lee
>> I don't know what happens with your recording. But to prevent the
>> pop-up make sure the liveTV order in your input connections is the
>> reverse of the schedule order. So:
>>
>>         livetv order    schedule order
>>
>> Card1         1               3
>> Card2         2               2
>> Card3         3               1
>>

>> Tot mails,
>>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>>

> I've been wondering about this and thinking of contributing code to make
> this better.  We often watch live TV and come across an instance where
> the show is scheduled to record on the HD-PVR that we're watching and
> displays the popup saying it wants to record something else.  I have two
> HD-PVRs.  Why can't the backend just record it on the other device
> that's currently not being used?  I don't know if it's possible, but
> can't the backend catch this conflict and re-run the scheduler to move
> the upcoming recording to a new device, assuming the channel is
> available on that device?  In my case, it almost always could record on
> the other device but we have to exit live tv and re-enter it which is
> cumbersome.

> I have adjusted the priorities of the inputs but we still run into this
> on a pretty regular basis.

But that's exactly what those priorities should do. It however can
happen that another is still free but is scheduled to be used later.
This also depends on the priority on your schedules. First all
schedules with the highest priority are scheduled to the tuners with
the lowest scheduling priority that is not jet used and so on. If
livetv uses the tuner with the highest scheduling priority, chances of
conflict are lowest, but they still can arise. Letting the scheduler
run again then will make for very complex code and very probable if
you have set up priorities correct won't solve anything. If however
you add or delete to the schedule, scheduling is reevaluated.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop