[mythtv-users] ir-keytables, should I bother?

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Thu Jul 16 18:38:38 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Erik Hovland <erik at hovland.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 7:38 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 5:08 AM, Mike Perkins
> > <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

> >> Don't forget that mythtv also recognizes plain alphabetic codes for
> when a
> >> keyboard is used.
> >>
> >> One solution, therefore, is to make your own keytable up which
> translates
> >> the input (8-bit) codes into the corresponding standard keypresses which
> >> would be acceptable to X.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Mike Perkins
> >

> > right, the thing is, ir-keytables doesn't let you use CTRL or ALT
> > keypresses, so it limits things a bit. I also don't know if MythTV
> > will work with the Japanese characters, though I don't see why not.
> > (haven't had a chance to test yet)
>
> Second this. I have the ortek IR receivers that work fine BUT the menu
> button corresponds to ^M. This means I am stuck remapping with xmodmap
> or some other scheme. I have used this wiki page to get really far:
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HID_Remotes
>
> But the last bit escapes me. If anyone has already figured this out,
> please educate me.

Is it an Ortek VRC-1100? Check my solution using ir-keytable here:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Adesso_ARC-1100#Alternate_Configuration (I just
fixed my udev rule on that page which was missing part of the last line.)

Although, I don't have a "menu" button per se, just an "info" button which
is jointly mapped with the mouse right click button. I used ir-keytable via
udev to remap it to "M".

Karl