[mythtv-users] ir-keytables, should I bother?

Erik Hovland erik at hovland.org
Thu Jul 16 16:43:53 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 7:38 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 5:08 AM, Mike Perkins
> <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 04/07/15 16:53, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>>
>>> new frontend with Ubuntu 14.04 and the new system uses the
>>> "ir-keytables" thing. as those that have tried it have noticed, X
>>> doesn't recognize a lot of remote commands with this system because
>>> they are out of it's range of recognition. It is possible to remap the
>>> buttons to something X can recognize, however, it's a bit of a pain,
>>> and does not seem as flexible as the old LIRC method.
>>>
>>> Is the ir-keytable issue with X something that will be resolved in the
>>> future, or will mythfrontend ever be able to recognize these commands
>>> regardless of X, such that I should try to get it to work to my
>>> liking, or should I just abandon the whole endeavor and get LIRC
>>> running?
>>>
>>> I would also like to be able to do something like what irexec does,
>>> that let's me run a command outside of mythtv/X using a remote control
>>> button, but I don't see a way to do this. I've tried xbindkeys but it
>>> does not seem to recognize any buttons on the remote as keyboard
>>> presses.
>>>
>>> thanks!
>>>
>> Don't forget that mythtv also recognizes plain alphabetic codes for when a
>> keyboard is used.
>>
>> One solution, therefore, is to make your own keytable up which translates
>> the input (8-bit) codes into the corresponding standard keypresses which
>> would be acceptable to X.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Perkins
>

> right, the thing is, ir-keytables doesn't let you use CTRL or ALT
> keypresses, so it limits things a bit. I also don't know if MythTV
> will work with the Japanese characters, though I don't see why not.
> (haven't had a chance to test yet)

Second this. I have the ortek IR receivers that work fine BUT the menu
button corresponds to ^M. This means I am stuck remapping with xmodmap
or some other scheme. I have used this wiki page to get really far:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HID_Remotes

But the last bit escapes me. If anyone has already figured this out,
please educate me.

Don't get me wrong, the whole HID remote situation seems way easier
then the Bad Old Days where we hacked away at our kernels, device
files and config files to get LIRC running - but there are a few
issues that the HID remotes don't solve very well.

Erik Hovland
erik at hovland.org
http://hovland.org/