[mythtv-users] FIOS copy protecting national Fox channels

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Jul 16 08:46:22 UTC 2015

On 16/07/15 06:01, Kris Jensen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 11:07 PM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

>> services

>>> Perhaps it is short sighted. However it is fox and I feel by voicing my
>>> dissatisfaction about their choice limiting their content. They may get
>> the
>>> wild assumption I enjoy their content.
>>
>> It doesn't really matter that *you* don't enjoy their content.  They
>> *are* still taking away some of your freedom.  First they came for the
>> Fox channels, and I did not speak out...
>>
>> David
>> --
>> David Engel
>> david at istwok.net
>>

> However , "They" are fox and only fox. And from the Verizon response you
> posted:
>
> " > Sorry for the inconvenience, after doing some digging around we
>    > found that the copy-once was implemented on those national services
>    > at provider request."
>
> So the provider (fox) requested the "One Copy" flag not Verizon or any
> other content provider, just fox.
>
> And if there is a day when fox run's the media and media providers.(
> Mr.Merdoch wet dream, I bet )  That's the day I pull the plug on TV for
> good.

Has it been verified that this statement, that it was FOX which asked for the
copy-once flag, is actually true? Could it have been BS by Verizon because they
couldn't be bothered to actually figure out what you were talking about?

I would view a statement like that with some reservation until I had verified it
by other means. How about contacting FOX and complaining that you can no longer
see their programming? That would (i) confirm or refute the original statement,
(ii) if it wasn't them, they would push the complaint back to Verizon, since
others might not see their content either or (iii) make FOX consider unintended
consequences.

--

Mike Perkins