[mythtv-users] best current RedHat-based distro for simple MythTV

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 17:25:44 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:
> Has anyone tried Fedora 22? Any idea what those processes are?

Been using Fedora for my MythTV systems for many many years,
no complaints.  Upgrades are now reasonably easy (supported using
FedUp), as long as you wait a few weeks for any ancillary repos to
catch up (if you use them) before the upgrade itself.  But you do
have to upgrade with some frequency, as trying to skip upgrades
can result in missing those special steps in the middle.

Those processes are intended to just report the identification and
capabilities of a v4l card.  The code itself is basically open the device,
do an ioctl, and print the (various) results.  Not something that would
normally result in 100% utilization.  I have not followed the ivtv
driver work for some time, but it is always best to be sure you are
running a recent kernel (as fixes are always added).