[mythtv-users] best current RedHat-based distro for simple MythTV

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Mon Jul 13 16:51:30 UTC 2015

I am working to replace my old 0.21 on RedHat 9 FE/BE while the recording
season is quiet. I want to use a RedHat-based distro because that's what I
know best and have run on all the workstations and servers in my world
since the late 1990s.

My MythTV box will be pretty simple: a FE/BE, 2 PVR-500s, and a mid-range
nVidia card (GT630 I think) capturing analog cable from my provider's
"basic" plan. I may tinker with digital and HD in the future but I haven't
yet seen the point of either for my viewing interests. I'd like to add some
other media-playing to the new box like YouTube, etc but mostly want to get
my old setup on new hardware before my drives eat dust.

My choices seem to be CentOS 6, CentOS 7, and Fedora 22.

CentOS 6 seems to be a little old given that CentOS 7 has been out for some
time now.

I tried Fedora 22 but I have to solve the problem of these 2 processes
burning 100% of my dual-core CPU starting minutes after I boot.

  528 ?        R    1540:53 /usr/lib/udev/v4l_id /dev/vbi0
  533 ?        R    1540:28 /usr/lib/udev/v4l_id /dev/video33

I can live with the Fedora upgrade cycle - I have been for years, but I can
appreciate the stability of CentOS and would switch to that but Googling
for "MythTV on CentOS 7" did not give me much info on running on CentOS 7.
Mostly talk about waiting for the ATrpms repo to catch up. Lots of info on
CentOS 6 but I'd rather not go retro with that.

Has anyone tried Fedora 22? Any idea what those processes are?

How about CentOS 7? Good support for nVidia and my PVR-500s?

Did I miss a FAQ somewhere?

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca