[mythtv-users] Change filesystem format in place?

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 14:00:04 UTC 2015

On 13/07/15 14:14, Dan Wilga wrote:
> On 7/11/15 10:07 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> I currently have a 2TB drive formatted EXT4 and I'm considering
>> moving to XFS but I don't have a spare 2TB drive to move the
>> recordings to.
>>
>> Does anyone have a practical method of doing this in place?
> There is also this project which purports to do this in one step. I
> have not used it, and cannot say how well it works:

I actually have a friend in Minneapolis who couldn't give away his old
1TB and 1.5TB drives because no-one wanted them I'm in the same position
and have a drawer of 250gb-1.5TB drives sitting collecting dust. If you
know anyone like that locally you could copy your files off onto
multiple "other" drives, rebuild your main 2Tb drive as XFS and move
everything back.

However....

You might consider me blunt for saying it, but why not just spend $50 on
a new 2TB drive? All all the responses you've received appear to be
telling you that yes it can be done, but you risk the data in the
process. At this point, unless you can get a loan of a spare drive from
someone, the logical step would be to purchase a spare yourself.

Also....

Why bother? All of my storage is still EXT4 and I've never had a
problem, so while XFS (and others) may be the "ideal" in some peoples
minds, I don't personally believe the FS choice will make a massive
difference to your MythTV experience.

Cheers
Gordon