[mythtv-users] how properly to rescan channels

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 21:50:10 UTC 2015

Hoi UB40D,

Saturday, July 11, 2015, 10:51:46 PM, you wrote:

> On 11 July 2015 at 20:54, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hoi UB40D,

>> the

>> times.

>> > I don't claim ever to have understood this fully, but I thought they
>> were.
>>
>> > 2.capture cards
>> > I have two of those
>> > /dev/dvb/adapterX/frontend0 for X in [0, 1]
>>
>> > 4. video sources
>> > I have one of these
>> > EIT
>>
>> > 5. input connections
>> > I have two of those
>> > [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0] (dvbinput) -> EIT
>> > [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0] (dvbinput) -> EIT
>>
>> > When I did the channel scan, the "video source" field was EIT.
>>
>> > All this looks to me pretty much the same as when the system last worked.
>>
>> > Are they linked or not? If not, what else should I do?
>>
>> It looks like they are, but for some reason the channels don't show
>> up. I suggest following John and Mike's suggestion. Start afresh!
>> Remove all inputs and sources and recreate them from scratch. It will
>> automatically remove any wrong setting causing this.
>>

> Yes, I agree this sounded like the way to go. Indeed I had already done
> that at the time of writing the previous reply, and still channels weren't
> showing up.

> Now, another update--- some good news, bad news, and a bit more voodoo.

> The main good news: I have got channels!
> How did I get them?
> Well, previously today I had done the scan only for dvb-s2, given that I
> rarely watch the non-HD channels any more. The scan had worked, but no
> channels had appeared in the listing. Now I did the scan also for dvb-s
> (the non-HD ones) and, inexplicably, channels appeared. Including the HD
> ones. So the problem is mostly solved (though it's unclear why). Thanks to
> you, John and Mike all the same.

> As for the bad news, and some extra voodoo: even though I restarted from
> zero and did only one scan of HD and one scan of SD, most channels appear
> multiple times (this happened before, and always unexplained). For example
> right now, if I go in
> Schedule recordings / search lists / films
> one of the first listings is "Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Pt 1", at 20:00
> on ITV+1, and it appears no less than TEN TIMES, apparently on different
> channel numbers: 10021, 10031, 10055, 10101 etc etc. Does ITV+1 really
> transmit on 10 different channels on the same satellite? Is there no way to
> deduplicate without deleting hundreds of channels manually?

Did you delete all video sources in mythtv-setup and create a new
video source before doing the scans! Or you might have old channels in
there. Also my cable provider does send some channels on two different
ids.
If I remember right after the scan you can choose whether to
automatically add the new found channels or do some reviewing. After
your second scan on dvb-s it probably will tell you it found
duplicates and asks you what to do with that.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop