[mythtv-users] From panicked to puzzled

Rick rbonafied at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 01:23:03 UTC 2015

On 07/07/2015 07:14 PM, Rick wrote:
> On 07/07/2015 02:38 AM, David Watkins wrote:
>>
>>     I apologize for my lack of clarity.  I was fairly burned out when I
>>     wrote the original post.  I've been building using mythtv source for
>>     about 8 years or so.  This is the build process I follow:
>>
>>     1) git update - For main mythtv source
>>     2) run Configure (for me that means this command line:  ./configure
>>     --prefix=/usr/local/mythtv.0.27 --disable-mythlogserver --enable-vdpau
>>     --with-bindings=perl
>>     3) make
>>     4) make install (this is what I mean by install the binaries)
>>     5) ldconfig as root (to update the cache of shared libraries)
>>
>>     6) git update - for plugins
>>     7) run configure : ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mythtv.0.27
>>     --disable-mythgame --enable-mythbrowser --enable-mythzoneminder
>>     --enable-mythnetvision --enable-m
>>     ythnews --disable-mythweather
>>     8) make
>>     9) make install
>>     10) ldconfig as root
>>

>> ... shouldn't you do step (9) as root also?
>

> The target directory for the install is writable by the id doing the
> install so root isn't needed.

I found the problem.  Why it's a problem is not clear to me but the
cause of the problem was using QT5 instead of QT4.  Once I removed the
QT5 libraries and compiled with QT4, everything worked again.  I
wouldn't have noticed it without using the Mageia 5 mythbackend package.
 For what it's worth, that Mageia 5 backend package is from Oct 2014 so
that is considerably older than what I was running.

Have a nice day!