[mythtv-users] Help with documentation

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 7 14:56:11 UTC 2015

On 07/04/2015 07:40 AM, Philip Brady wrote:

> I have taken so much from this community that I feel honour bound to
> contribute so please include me.  I have been chipping away at API
> pages but it’s been slow and it is a bit of a moving target!
>

> A few observations:
>

> 1.  We need a high level link for budding authors on ‘how to generate
> a wiki page’.  I have generated a few pages but cannot for the life of
> me remember how I did it.  Where is that page about sandboxes etc?

I have gathered a few useful links for myself. Look at my user page
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Pgbennett under "Quick Links". The
"Manual of style" page that I reference may be out of date, I plan to
review it, so don't take it as gospel. I have created a couple of
standard templates to use for indicating versions applicable to pages or
features. I have not yet added those to the Templates list.

> 2. There are a large number of interesting pages in the wiki which are
> not accessible by following links.  The indexing depends upon category
> tags at the end of the document but unfortunately these do not get
> updated in the parent page unless that is opened and re-saved.
> Permissions don’t always allow that.  I think it’s exacerbated by
> local caching or maybe whether the author is logged in.  He/she sees
> the parent updated but nobody else does.     Can that be automated or
> documented?   If there is there a way of listing those and going
> through them (and also the 'wanted' pages) as a 'start from the
> bottom' approach?

Instructions for this are here
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Purge
Unfortunately you have to purge each page affected, it is not very friendly.

> 3. What’s a good mechanism for authors and developers to communicate?
> A new group under https://forum.mythtv.org/ perhaps? How do developers
> communicate?

I have been emailing Paul directly.

> 4. I have often thought that some of the pages describe a lot of work
> done by some dedicated contributors and that there is something very
> valuable there.  Unfortunately, it’s often very difficult to work out
> what it does.  The commercial world I full of ‘it brings you
> happiness' but does not say how and Mythtv is sometimes the opposite –
> ‘here is the technical’ but no ‘what it does’.  Sorting that may need
> considerable tact!

I agree. There is a vast amount of technical detail in pages contributed
by many people. Unfortunately much of it is out of date.

> 5. I’ve seen a few pages where I recognise a shortcoming and/or know
> that it’s wrong but don’t know how to improve it.   Is there a
> mechanism for asking the author of that page to review it?
>

> 6.  A bit of an aside:  I read these discussions on Gossamer threads
> but respond via hotmail.  Matching the two is not always easy,
> especially if I have had a hotmail tidy-up. Is there a more intuitive
> interface?

I have a separate email address that I use for only the mythtv users
list. With Thunderbird you can easily view messages as threads.

> Regards
>
> Phil

Peter