[mythtv-users] Debian update fails mythtv-database (re)configure

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 5 13:56:01 UTC 2015

On 07/04/2015 08:28 PM, Robin Gilks wrote:
> I'm running Debian 8.1 Jessie and get mythtv from here
>
> deb http://mirror.optus.net/deb-multimedia jessie main non-free
>
> When running 'apper' the other day I noticed something hadn't fully
> installed. I ran the following to see what what the error was in detail.
>

> # apt-get -f install
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> 2 not fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
> Setting up mythtv-database (0.27.5-dmo2) ...
> Failed to execute SQL: CREATE DATABASE mythconverg\nAccess denied for user
> 'root'@'woden.localdomain' to database 'mythconverg' at -e line 8, <> line
> 1.
> Failed to connect to database: Access denied for user
> 'root'@'woden.localdomain' (using password: YES) at -e line 5, <> line 1.
> dpkg: error processing package mythtv-database (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 255
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mythtv:
>  mythtv depends on mythtv-database (>= 0.27.5-dmo2); however:
>   Package mythtv-database is not configured yet.
>
> dpkg: error processing package mythtv (--configure):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>  mythtv-database
>  mythtv
>
> Several questions arise:
>   1. why is the update trying to create mythconverg when it already exists
>   2. why is it using the root user rather than information from config.xml
>   3. why is it even trying to mess with the database when its down to
> mythtv-setup to do the updates not some random install script
>
> Everything is still working OK but of course I get the same error every
> time I update or install something.
>
> Ideas?

I see this if I am updating mythtv when the database is down. It is
trying to create the mythconverg user. If it is already there the config
will complete anyway. It creates the mythconverg user id using the root
login. Perhaps you have changed the mysql settings to disallow the root
connection. You probably should sort that out and complete the config
otherwise it will keep reporting that the myth database is not configured.

As to why it is trying to create the mythconverg user when it already
exists - my guess is it does not know for sure whether it has been
created before so it is doing that anyway.

Peter.