[mythtv-users] Strange resolution problem

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Sat Jul 4 10:31:00 UTC 2015

On 04/07/2015 08:29, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 04/07/15 08:57, Andréas Kühne wrote:
>> What I would do is check the EDID properties of the projector, also
>> perhaps change the settings in mythbuntu to not care about the EDID
>> values. I don't know how to do that however.
>
> I did this long time ago for a monitor with a long cable, long enough
> to make EDID fail. The solution was to add a modeline to xorg.conf, in
> my case it looks like this (mind the email linebreaks). It still works.
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier     "Monitor0"
>     VendorName     "IBM"
>     ModelName      "ThinkVision L190"
>     HorizSync       15.0 - 70.0
>     VertRefresh     58.0 - 64.0
>     ModeLine     "1280x1024_60.00" 108.9 1280 1360 1496 1712 1024 1025
> 1028 1060 -hsync +vsync
>     Option         "DPMS"
> EndSection

Thanks Alec and Andréas. That certainly seems worth a try!

I don't seem to have a xorg.conf file, but I assume the OS will use one
if it finds one.

So, now for the million dollar question ...

How do I know the right settings for a xorg.conf entry for my BenQ W1300
projector at 1920x1080? Those HorizSync, VertRefresh, ModeLine and
Option settings look like things that you don't want to get wrong!!

Thanks,
Damian