[mythtv-users] Recordings slow to start?

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Fri Jul 3 10:12:48 UTC 2015

On 02/07/15 19:38, HP-mini wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-07-01 at 21:20 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 9:11 PM, Frank Phillips <frankalso at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>          On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 8:50 PM, Richard Shaw
>>          <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>                  Ever since I upgraded to a 2TB HD and expanded my 2
>>                  tuner HDHR-ATSC to include a 3 tuner HDHR-Prime I've
>>                  noticed that my recordings take a long time to start,
>>                  up to 10 seconds.
>>

>>                  Since it can't take that long to find a file my
>>                  assumption is that it's loading the recordseek table
>>                  that's taking so long.
>>

>>                  I occasionally use the Optimize button in mythweb and
>>                  recently tried the optimize_mythdb perl script but it
>>                  doesn't seem to have helped.
>>

>>                  I also occasionally run mysqld_tuner and apply the
>>                  recommendations.
>>

>>                  Anywhere else I should look?
>>

>>          Hard drive idle head parking? See hdparm -B/-J
>>

>> I'll take a look but I doubt it, happens even after just finishing
>> watching a recording and it's not a green drive.
>>
> You can change the settings on the green drives with linux tool
> "idle-something" if you did have green HDDs.
>
> If you start playback of a recording in the period 1 minute after
> recording has finished, you are guaranteed to get 10 sec delay.
> I believe this is a file status bug.
> This is the only time I get any start delay (database on SSD).
>
> I think there is a file playback probing issue that causes some delay,
> if the start of the recording file is not "clean".
> Check in mythtv-setup that recordings are set to start on mpeg2-SEQ (==
> SPS for H264).
>
> HTH

I get a several-second delay if I play a UK SD recording immediately
after processing it with my mythDVBcut script, which cuts, remuxes the
file from .ts to .mpg and rebuilds the seektable.  No RAID, just a
single 500 GB xfs (SL7 default) non-green disk and still only 2GB ram.
Compaq dc5800 box.  It's not a problem but another datapoint.
Subsequent plays start immediately.