[mythtv-users] Emergency video debug

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Sat Jan 31 04:05:52 UTC 2015

On 31/01/2015 11:51 AM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 9:23 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Have you tried real simple stuff like unplugging and replugging the hdmi
>>> cable?
>>>

>> Relative was over watching a Blu-ray with the missus, so I didn't have a
>> chance due to the location of the box. When I was finally able to, luckily
>> the box came back. Just curious, how does that happen? Neither the TV nor
>> the mythbox had been moved. And I did multiple reboots. So what in the
>> physical act of re-plugging makes the change? Is it something like a
>> transient electrical blip causing the issue and then the reconnecting
>> handshake fixing it?
>>
>> Thanks to everyone for all the ideas.
> I really don't know why it worked, I just remember it working for me.
>
> Had a similar thing with a network cable last night.

It is to do with the small currents used in digital equipment.  The
current going through the cable/connections is not enough to keep the
contacts "clean" or penetrate the oxidation that has built up. By
unplugging and plugging back in, the contacts get cleaned.

At least, thats what an old radio tech told me.