[mythtv-users] UPnP/DLNA recordings timezone problem

James Paul james at mauibay.net
Sun Jan 25 18:24:49 UTC 2015

> >> I'm using MythTV 0.27, looking at the list of recordings in the
> >> frontend, XBMC and MythWeb all show the recording times properly.
> >> am in timezone UTC -10 and the backend is running on OpenSuse 13.1
> >> with the OS timezone set to Pacific/Honolulu (UTC -10), and
> >> everything else running on the system represents time/date
> >> correctly.
> >
> >> However, viewing recordings on my Playstation 3 via UPnP lists the
> >> recording times in UTC, that is, they are 10 hours in the future.
> >> For example, a show recorded at 7pm on Tuesday displays on the PS3
> >> with a recording time of 5am Wednesday. So sorting by date has all
> >> the primetime shows under the folder for day after they were
> >> recorded, which confuses most of the family. This seems to only
> >> happen with UPnP clients.
> >
> >> What should I be looking for to make the recording times display
> >> correctly to UPnP clients?
> >
> >> Mahalo!
> >
> > I guess it's up to the receiver (your playstation) to translate UTC
> > local time. So again I guess your playstation doesn't support
> > timezones or it is not set.
> >
> > Thanks for the reply, but I'm pretty sure the DLNA renderer is not
> > the problem. I recently upgraded my mythbackend hardware and
> > mythtv from 0.24 to 0.27 and the old backend worked perfectly with
> > this same PS3 DLNA renderer, the dates displayed correctly. I
> > didn't start seeing the dates 10 hours in the future until I
> > switched to the new backend, so I'm pretty sure it's happening on
> > the backend but am just not seeing any timezone setting that I've
> > failed to set properly so was hoping to find a clue from somebody
> > on this list.
> >
> Yeah, but wasn't 0.24 /before/ we began storing times in UTC? That
> would explain
> what you see. It just concealed the problem.

> --

> Mike Perkins

Thanks for the reply!

I didn't notice that mythtv used to store times as local and not UTC, sorry. But I still don't see why this would be the DLNA renderer's fault. mythbackend applies the timezone when serving content to XBMC and mythfrontend so the times all display correctly, is there really no way to do this for uPnP/DLNA? Most DLNA renderers are very minimal and simply display what they are served. Is localizing time really the responsibility of the renderer? That seems weird to me.

If time used to be stored as local, then the problem simply didn't exist before, there was no problem to conceal since it was returned correctly in all cases. By changing it to be stored as UTC, a problem like this is introduced where the time can be returned to a UI without being localized. This effectively makes using DLNA much less useful when I have to ask family members to mentally use UTC when browsing for recordings.