[mythtv-users] Disappearing xorg.conf

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Sun Jan 25 03:45:33 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 4:37 PM, Andrew C. (AFPup) Stadt
<acstadt at stadt.ca> wrote:

> On 1/19/2015 4:20 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
>>
>> I have a frontend (mythbuntu 14.04).  Most of the time, the FE is powered
>> off.  When I boot it up, sometimes the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file disappears
>> and I end up with the super tiny font problem. Each time this happens, I
>> restore from my backup copy and reboot and all is well again, until the next
>> time it happens.  I even tried making the file read only, but no difference.
>>
>> Any ideas on why the xorg.conf file gets removed?  The most recent event
>> was with the last mythbuntu updates.  My master BE/FE system (also mythbuntu
>> 14.04) does not seem to have this problem, but then again, it is up 24/7.
>>
>> Jay
>
> Hi Jay,
>
> At a quick guess I'd say that you're getting bitten by the 'gpu-manager'.  I
> have no idea who game up with this brain dead idea, but you can google it,
> and figure out the best way for you to kill it.

You mean the brain dead idea of editing conf files and making it
impossible to know whether it can be safely changed or not (or having
a new package version overwrite your changes, etc)? I don't know who
came up with that idea, but it seems like everything is moving to
having changes in a *.conf.d directory. I would try putting a new
.conf file in that directory (create it if it doesn't exist) and see
if it works after rebooting.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto#Xorg.conf.d

--
Thanks,