[mythtv-users] Mythtv gentoo question

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 14:37:50 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 8:56 AM, Rich Freeman
<r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 8:25 AM, Alex Tomlins <alex at tomlins.org.uk> wrote:
>>
> Agree, the posted stats don't even indicate what is being measured,
> and system-wide measurements are almost completely irrelevant to
> something like this.  Free memory in particular on linux is
> meaningless as it will ALWAYS go down over time as the cache is
> utilized until it hits a level maintained by the kernel.  Free memory
> should be relabeled "wasted memory" as in you paid for it but aren't
> getting any value out of it.
>
> What you really want to know is how much real memory the mythtv
> process is actually using.
>
> --
> Rich

Yea...as soon as I see anything talking about 2, 3, or more GB being
used I have to assume that's nothing more than kernel caching etc,
which is irrelevant.  For what it's worth my Gentoo backend running
mythtv-0.27.3_p20140907 (patched for the schedules direct change) only
has 1.5 GB all in and isn't using much of that:

free -m
Mem:          1508       1406        101          0          5       1275
-/+ buffers/cache:        125       1383
Swap:          964         43        920

The backend has been running for almost 3 weeks:

ps auxw|grep mythback
mythtv    1223  1.6  1.7 424472 27788 ?        Ssl  Jan05 450:00
/usr/bin/mythbackend --daemon --pidfile /var/run/mythbackend.pid
--user mythtv --verbose general --logpath /var/log/mythtv/

Tom