[mythtv-users] Overlay and blink problems with Lenovo M58

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 23 21:58:15 UTC 2015

> On 24 Jan 2015, at 5:56 am, "Barry Martin" <Barry_Martin_3 at Q.COM> wrote:
>

> Hi Folks!
>
> Bought a new (well, refurbished) Lenovo M58 for use as an additional Frontend. Problem #1: At 1920x1080x60 Hz will randomly blink (black screen for about a second). Both at the Desktop and any Myth screen. At any lower resolution is fine (no blink/stays on). [Currently the Frontend computer is connected up here to my monitor for testing – the monitor has no problem with this resolution.] I can live with the slightly lower Desktop resolution; only reason listed is may have some bearing on my real problem, #2.
>
> Problem #2: In Myth playback no on-screen display (of 'pause', 'bookmark saved', forwarding speed, etc.) when the TV show is 1080; at 720 and below the on-screen overlay appears, Size of the picture appears normal, so isn't a problem with overscanning.
>
> Trying to find information on the driver (because it seems logical!) -- cookbooking as I am a newbie:
> .        lsmod | grep -i video yields:
> .                video 18712 1 i915
> .                output 1883 1 video
>
> No idea what that means! So if you want me to look for something please give the command I'm to type in.
>

> Frontend:
> .        Lenovo M58, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93 GHz
> .        Video:
> .        Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset
> Monitor (Haven't tried on a TV yet)
> .        Acer H242H
> .        Per Speccy in Windows 7:
> .        Current resolution: 1920x1080
> .        Work resolution: 1920x1040
> Displayport to HDMI adapter
>

> Mythbuntu 10.10 32-bit (I knowww!) (That's what the Backend is running; installing the current version [14.04.1] on the Frontend complained the Backend was 63 versions old.]
>
> TIA!

What does mythbackend --version on the backend give? I assume you are running 0.22 - 0.24 whereas Mythbuntu 14.04.01 ships with 0.27 (hence the warning 63 versions old). You could upgrade mythbackend to 0.27 without changing from Mythbuntu 10.10 (I believe). Otherwise I assume you could install Mythbuntu 14.04.01 but checkout the older (0.24?) branch. However you may struggle to get support when your MythTV version is pre fixes/0.25.

Remember that your OS version and MythTV version are different things and are not hard coded to each other.

Personally I would be strongly avoiding installing Mythbuntu 10.10 (which is not LTS) on a brand 'new' (modern hardware) computer. It is well out of date. You would be much better off with the 14.04.01 Mythbuntu point release which is LTS.