[mythtv-users] Audio noise

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Fri Jan 23 17:02:57 UTC 2015

On 01/23/2015 08:49 AM, Jim wrote:
> On 1/23/2015 11:25 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>> Watched some recordings last evening with the new power supply in the
>> system. There is some odd noise that is most prevalent while watching
>> recordings. While still present, it's less noticeable with live TV. I
>> tuned in a golf tournament so there would be segments of quiet
>> program, and I could hear the light buzzing. With the front end
>> closed I listened to some music with Movie Player. I didn't hear the
>> noise.
>>
>> In addition, there is a fairly quiet noise associated with clicking
>> the buttons on the remote. There is also a similar quiet noise when
>> using the mouse and mouse buttons. Sometimes the noise is there when
>> dragging the mouse across the screen. The mouse issues occur when the
>> front end is shut down. I imagine they would be there with the mouse
>> in use, too, but since the mouse isn't used with the front end, I
>> didn't notice.
>>
>> It doesn't make sense to me that a program could cause the problem,
>> but I'll ask anyway: is there anything in MythTV that could be
>> involved in creating this noise?
>>
>> My assumption is that when I put in the new power supply one of the
>> cables is now somewhere it wasn't before. I'll open it up again this
>> afternoon and see if I can reroute things.
>>
> 1. Is it coming through the speakers or is it a mechanical noise from
> the cpu.

Speakers. I can mute the stereo and the noise stops.

> 2. Please use reply instead of starting a new thread.

My apologies. I was unaware of that feature, where a message is tied to
a thread even when the subject line changes. I replied to the first
message telling me about that, but it didn't arrive at the list, yet.

This message, the one to which you replied, was started as a new
message, not a reply. Is it still connected to the old thread because of
the subject line? To create a new thread do I need to make sure the
subject line is different?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens