[mythtv-users] Filesystem of choice for recording drive?

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 11:20:12 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 12:02 PM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 11:33:46 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>All,
>>
>>My recording drive (small partition for LiveTV, large partition for
>>ATSC recordings) decided to die (2 TB Western Digital Green).
>>S.M.A.R.T. errors galore, long pauses and corruption in recordings,
>>etc.  It was using XFS for the filesystem based on a recommendation in
>>the mythtv wiki from a long time back.
>>
>>Is XFS still the filesystem of choice or at this point is there a
>>better option?  Btrfs?  EXT4?
>
> I have always used JFS for my recording drives and have been very
> pleased with the result.  When I first started using MythTV, only XFS
> and JFS were recommended, but I believe EXT4 is OK now also.

I've used ext4 since I started using mythtv in 2012 on a 2005 era
Pentium 4 PC with a single disk, 3 physical tuners (6 virtual).  I
used ext4 simply because it is the Ubuntu default and figured it would
be stable.  I've never had performance issues with it, although we
tend to only record 1 or 2 programs at a time, so it may be considered
a light load.

Cheers,
Alistair