[mythtv-users] find_orphans and error?

paul thannet at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 20:23:24 UTC 2015

On 21/01/15 16:44, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 01/21/2015 07:52 AM, paul wrote:
>>>
>> Just had a look at mine, the ports are right, however the hostname is
>> missing?
>>
>> BackendServerPort 6543 NULL
>>
>> I must admit your conversations are beyond my skill level, so how
>> would a pleb fix this ? :-)
>>
>> Paul
>
> That makes sense. The C++ code (e.g. backend/frontend etc.) tries to
> get the value
> using the hostname, but if it fails (your case), it defaults to 6543.
> That explains
> your original comment: "Everything else seems to work fine".
>
> The Python bindings don't appear to use a default. Which is what got
> you here.
>
> If you haven't already, then I'd suggest using the GUI (mythtv-setup)
> and update
> the port's value. Stop the backend 1st. Even consider changing it to
> something
> else, like 9999 and exit setup. Then restore it to 6543. You can use
> the SQL posted
> here earlier to see if the change added the hostname.
>
> Also, please do this from your favorite browser:
> yourBackend:6544/Myth/GetHostName
> and paste the output here. You should see something like this:
>
>     <String>yourHostNameAsKnownToMythTV</String>

Here is the paste you wanted.

<String>MicroServer</String>

Which is the correct name. However the printout from the other mysql
command probably explains a lot.
+-------------------+------+-------------+
| value             | data | hostname    |
+-------------------+------+-------------+
| BackendServerPort | 6543 | NULL        |
| BackendServerPort | 6543 | microserver |
| BackendServerPort | 6543 | server      |
| BackendServerPort | 6543 | vs          |
| BackendServerPort | 6543 | vs server   |
+-------------------+------+-------------+

This Mythbox was about 5 years ago called vs server, lack of knowledge
called it vs , later "server" after a crash and did not read about how
to properly restore to another name server. Latest incarceration is
microserver. I have been having problems with video storage groups
complaining about "unable to scan sg vs server" and I tried the trick of
firing up a VM as a secondary backend, then removing it. Did not work
for me, and as we can see the name is still in the DB.

I really wished I could wipe this machine, but I have so many rules, and
recorded programs that it is not something I would want to do lightly.

Thanks for the help

Paul