[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 20 15:26:00 UTC 2015

On 01/19/2015 09:24 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>> Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 12:31:16 AM, Mitchell wrote:
>>
>>> I have setup a new ubuntu box and installed the mythbuntu packages.
>>> for some reason mythfilldatabase in mythweb shows:
>>> Last mythfilldatabase run started on Mon Jan 19 2015, 12:03 AM and
>>> ended  on Mon Jan 19 2015, 12:04 AM. mythfilldatabase ran, but did
>>> not insert  any new data into the Guide for 1 of 1 sources. This can
>>> indicate a  potential grabber failure.
>>> There's guide data until 2015-01-24 02:00:00 (5 day(s)).
>>> DataDirect Status: Your subscription expires on Sat Jun 20 2015 8:31 AM
>>>
>>> but when i run the program manually it does insert data.  What would
>>> cause this?
> Whenever I've seen this message it's because I've run mythfilldatabase
> prior to Myth running it. Next run by Myth, without my doing anything, is
> successful!

Right, the message is basically saying, "No more data than was
previously in the database was written."  So, if you run
mythfilldatabase again before your guide source has added new data, you
will get that message.  That's why it says, "This *can* indicate a
potential grabber failure."

However, IMHO, the message causes more problems than it solves (and a
lot of needless worries) and should be removed.  I don't know of any
case where that message caused a user to notice that there was a problem
with their grabber.  Instead, users notice problems when their 2-weeks
of listings shrink to 10 days of listings or whatever.  If we must have
a warning, I'd much rather MythTV notice how much data is usually there
(max 14 days/average 12 days/...) and then warn when it drops below the
average or more than 2 days short or something similar.

Mike