[mythtv-users] Backend Hardware Questions

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 18:03:23 UTC 2015

On 16/01/15 11:36, Henk D. Schoneveld wrote:
> I would suggest check power-consumption first with a Kill-Watt device,
> most PSUs are way to big and are most efficient when loaded at > 75% of
> max capacity. HD’s don’t use that much power.

Power supplies need to be dimensioned not for average load but peak
load. Which occurs at boot when the disks all spin up at more or less
the same time.

So unless you have a fancy controller that spins the disks up one by one
you need a lot of headroom on top of the system's average load after boot.