[mythtv-users] Time Warner encrypting everything. HDHR Prime with CableCard unable to record anything.

Tom Bongiorno tbjr at bongohut.com
Thu Jan 15 18:22:10 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Philip Nourse <pjn at pobox.com> wrote:

> On 15/01/2015 3:02 AM, Lee Maisel wrote:
>
>> Sounds like a class-action lawsuit is in order.
>>

>> On 1/14/2015 1:18 AM, Bob Sully wrote:
>>

>>> Pardon the dumb question...but do I have any recourse?  An antenna is
>>> pretty much a no-go, as I'm in a real fringe area. Right now the HD-PVR is
>>> handling everything, which means only one recording at a time.
>>>

>> ---

> I only use OTA, so I am not familiar with the issues at hand, but I am a
> little bit curious.  Did Silicondust actually implement firmware to respect
> the copy flags?   What would compel them to do that?   Is it because the
> cable card now enforces the protection?

It is important to not confuse Silicondust's regular ATSC/QAM HDHomeRun
tuners with their CableCard/QAM HDHomeRun PRIME tuners. The regular HDHR
tuners tune and stream unencrypted OTA/cable content. The HDHR PRIME tuners
tune, decrypt, authenticate, copy protect, and stream cable content that is
encrypted. These tuner have always been required to respect copy protection
to be certified by CableLabs, the authoritative group made up of cablecos.

I hope that is clear and mostly correct. Someone correct me if left out any
details.

-Tom