[mythtv-users] Comcast and Cablecard CGMS copy-once problem

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 14 21:52:57 UTC 2015

On 01/14/2015 03:32 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 12:31 AM, Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com <mailto:gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Ceton is reporting that their request to remove legacy
>     copy protection has been approved by CableLabs
>

> Holy crap. Good thing I'm not a betting man, because I would have put
> good money against that one. While it is a welcome change, from their
> perspective that seems entirely contrary to the entire point of
> changing it to not pass along the CCI 0x00 flag.
>
> On the plus side (for us), I think this fixes the problem when a cable
> provider didn't add any CCI flags at all, which causes CGMS to kick
> in. Previously they could only ignore CGMS when CCI was present, but
> since they can now no longer tell that it is present or not, CGMS
> should be ignored in all cases.

It looks like from the document that they don't need to honor the CGMS
for clear QAM any more either. This brings Ceton and Homerun Prime in
line with the tuner sticks for those few people who still have clear QAM
on the cable system.

Most amazing is how fast it was approved and even more amazing is how
fast the firmware was released
>From the time stamps on the web sites:
Update to Cable Labs Spec: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 19:54:58 GMT
Firmware upgrade: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 23:08:47 GMT
3 hours to code, test, package and release a firmware upgrade!
I wonder how well they tested it.
Hopefully they had already been working on it and had it ready for when
the approval came.

Peter