[mythtv-users] Time Warner encrypting everything. HDHR Prime with CableCard unable to record anything.

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 18:58:18 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 3:18 AM, Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:
> Running 0.27-fixes on Ubuntu 14.04
> HD-HR Prime x 1 (3 tuners), HD-PVR x1
>
> Hi all -
> The Evil Empire has finally made good on its promise to encrypt all
> channels, including the local broadcast stations.
>
> HD-HR Prime is now unable to record anything.  CableCard is now useless on
> Myth (at least I could previously use it to record the clear QAM channels).
> Of course it works on Winblows Media Center (did a short test).
>
> I've been running Linux on everything, and Myth for years, don't wish to
> switch to Windows.
>
> Pardon the dumb question...but do I have any recourse?  An antenna is pretty
> much a no-go, as I'm in a real fringe area.  Right now the HD-PVR is
> handling everything, which means only one recording at a time.
>
> Thanks.

My parents, with TWC in Los Angeles, have two HD-PVR's and recently
switched their HDHR to use an OTA antenna instead of QAM. Once signal
strength issues were worked out to the best they could, it's been
working great for them. Plus they get a bunch more channels with the
antenna than QAM had, though most of them are of minimal interest to
them.

--
Steve