[mythtv-users] Time Warner encrypting everything. HDHR Prime with CableCard unable to record anything.

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 16:41:45 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 8:18 AM, Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:
> Running 0.27-fixes on Ubuntu 14.04
> HD-HR Prime x 1 (3 tuners), HD-PVR x1
>
> Hi all -
> The Evil Empire has finally made good on its promise to encrypt all
> channels, including the local broadcast stations.

Technically, encryption is different than content protection.
With a OCUR tuner, you are encountering the content
protection challenge (the encryption is handled by the
CableCARD).

But, yes, TWC has moved to encrypting everything in a
number of the larger markets.  I was under the impression
that TWC was not protecting the locals (although they
were moving to encrypting).  In the past, many such
marking of content protection for the locals was actually
a technical implementation error by the franchise rather
than intentional.

By any chance is your market using Cisco CableCARDs?
You might try the new beta firmware for the Prime (out
last evening) to see if you can get your locals back, but
regardless, the locals are all you even have a hope to get
in a TWC franchise.

> HD-HR Prime is now unable to record anything.  CableCard is now useless on
> Myth (at least I could previously use it to record the clear QAM channels).

Clear QAM is different than using a CableCARD to decode
encrypted streams.  A CableCARD is not used to receive
Clear QAM channels.  Were you using the Prime for Clear QAM
channels, or using the Prime with a CableCARD to decode
those encrypted channels that were marked without copy
protection (i.e. only the locals).  As TWC has encrypted
everything, they removed all the Clear QAM channels.

> Of course it works on Winblows Media Center (did a short test).

Yep, MythTV has no support for DRM content.  Only
closed systems (WMC, TiVo) have the necessary
certified protected path implementations to be able to
access protected content.

> Pardon the dumb question...but do I have any recourse?

The HD-PVR, as you note.

Try the latest Prime firmware (if what you are encountering
is CGMS protection in a Cisco CableCARD franchise).

You can contact TWC to verify that they have chosen
to protect the locals, and if not, to get them to fix their
marking.

And, perhaps, hope that (a) the merger happens, followed
by (b) parent corporate policy to not protect (except for
premiums) is extended to all franchises, and lastly (c) the
content protection policy does not change at some point
in the future.