[mythtv-users] Recommended Disk Test

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jan 14 10:16:34 UTC 2015

Jeff Siddall <news at siddall.name> wrote:

> At some point you will probably be better off just upgrading your CPU/MB/RAM and give up on what you have.

Indeed. The economics are different for a home user doing it himself, but at work we generally recommend just replacing machines with this sort of problem - once you add up a few hours of engineer time, you're a good way down the road to a new (and normally faster) machine.

> Also, despite what others have said a failing hard drive doesn't cause kernel freezes.  Your system will certainly behave badly, but something will be responsive -- even if it is just the capslock light changing when you press caps lock.

+1
And normally you'll find the console screen fills up with errors as disk timeouts occur.