[mythtv-users] Recommended Disk Test

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 20:00:52 UTC 2015

Hoi John,

>> Before I take it in to the hardware gurus I want to be sure I've run
>> appropriate tests. I ran memtest with no errors.

> Did you do 1 pass or several days. 1 pass is not at all good at
> finding marginal ram.

>> What disk test should I run
>> that will be a non-destructive test? And, when I run it, do I need to have
>> the backend and MySQL shut down?
>>

> Can you post the SMART raw data for the disk

> smartctrl --all /dev/mydevice

> where my device is the drive you want to test possibly sda

> John

If you have a freeze without anything in the logs, it can't be the
disk! To be absolutely sure you could let your logs go to another
disk. i.e. copy over /var/log to a volume on another disk and mount
that on /var/log
My guess is it's either a motherboard/processor issue or a software
thing. If you haven't done any update around the time of first
occurrence I guess the first.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven