[mythtv-users] MythTV User Status ??

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Jan 12 17:06:21 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 11:49 AM, jim <jim_32766 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> It appears that users without regular
> login passwords, e.g. pulse, are indicated by the * in the second field.
> The only exception is mysql which has a ! in that field.

There's no difference between a * or a !.  Different people use
different characters per convention, but it has to be something that
can't parse as a valid encrypted password.  (See man 5 shadow for more
detail.)

> Would it hurt to add a regular password for mythtv and make it more like
> my regular user account. For a HTPC would it be better to only have the
> mythtv user account?

I use the mythtv account for running the frontend on the machine in my
living room and it's fine.  It's set up to auto-login that account as
soon as X starts, and the frontend is launched automatically.  It has
a password, but I don't remember what I set it to.  I don't need to
actually use it.

Eric