[mythtv-users] tmdb3.py with/without year

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Mon Jan 12 03:33:15 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 7:21 PM, Matt Garman <matthew.garman at gmail.com> wrote:
> According to the documentation here
>     http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo_File_Parsing
> "Note: Adding the year in YYYY format to a movies filename will help
> with duplicate matching."
>
> But I've noticed that adding the date to a movie causes tmdb3.py to
> (sometimes) return no results.
>
> For example, the following returns many results (25 to be exact):
> # tmdb3.py -M "Predator"
>
> However, the first one is what I want, and the metadata shows
> <year>1987</year>, so I'll add that to the filename, and maybe it will
> filter out all the extraneous results.  Nope, now I get zero results:
> # tmdb3.py -M "Predator 1987"
>
> I've tried this for many titles, where leaving out the date gives lots
> of matches, but adding the date gives zero matches.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?  Maybe my tmdb3.py is too old?  It's version 0.3.7.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!

Currently adding the year doesn't give you any additional info (as
you've found out, it actually makes it return zero results). This is
because while the API for http://www.themoviedb.org/ support adding
the year in queries, MythTV does not parse the year from the filename
and tmdb3.py doesn't support any options for specifying the year.
There has been debate in the past regarding this, but nobody has
stepped forward to do anything about this (and the devs of these
particular features have it working the way they want)..

It used to work, as V2 of the API supported searching for a title with
the year included in it, but IIRC V3 removed this functionality.

--
Thanks,

Thomas Mashos